Friday 23 July 2010

It's a sad sad day

Well after nearly 5 years on the Barbel Society Committee, 1st as website Editor then as Membership Secretary and now combining the Fisheries Managers post. I have decided enough is enough.

A few years ago, a good friend and fellow blogger (lets calll him "canes2tony") said to me you will never change "him" and he is right,I and others thought we could take the BS forward but the man's hide is thicker than a rhino's, I guess his Ivory Tower is invincible.

All 3 moderators on the BS Forum have resigned due to pressure from above to re-instate a committee member who was suspended by me after consultation between us. The chairman thinks that a committee member is above all the other forum posters and is above the being able to be edited and suspended. Not in my book I had been a moderator on there since the forum was closed to the public many years ago.

I was being asked to break the conditions of the Data Protection Act, in other words break the law by the Chairman. After the foolish prank he pulled at the running Waters show this year, 3 of the present committee, me and I won't name the other 2 but it's not hard to guess who, one a long standing member and very good friend, the other a new member on the committee but also someone who has been a friend for quite a few years have resigned in the space of 24 hours with the distinct posibility of more soon.

The BS will carry on with Mr pope at the helm, the new blood will see the light at the end of the tunnel and notice that it is just turning the corner and coming up behind them. Nothing changes.

Good luck to all my friends on the committee, and too the rest............................................... nah its not worth it!!!!!!!

Ah well! it means more fishing for me instead of sat behind the pc for hours on end.

9 Comments:

At 23 July 2010 at 15:56 , Blogger Monty Dalrymple said...

It's a real shame Mike,but you have my utmost respect.For doing what you feel is right.

Who next Mike Oz ?

Monty D

 
At 23 July 2010 at 16:48 , Blogger Conrad said...

Biggun I know that this will have saddened you greatly and that you will have thought long and hard about whether or not to blog on the subject. I feel the same as Monty, you have my utmost respect.

Perhaps now we can go and do some quality fluff chucking!

You and your colleagues have served the BS well and no-one can deny that. Good luck mate.

Conrad

 
At 23 July 2010 at 17:30 , Blogger Bobbus Gittus said...

Can only reiterate what Monty and Conrad have already said. Respect.
Best of luck,
Bobbus

 
At 23 July 2010 at 19:46 , Blogger tony said...

Well you did a good job for a long time Biggun, how many good folks must walk before Pope sees that he cant carry on like this. The mans an inept bafoon.

 
At 23 July 2010 at 20:13 , Blogger Unknown said...

Shame things turned out the way they did, Mike, I'm glad now that i haven't joined the BS.

Still, i bet there is a whole world of weight off your shoulders now. ;)

ATB

Will.

 
At 24 July 2010 at 10:24 , Blogger Dave Burr said...

I know how you feel mate. I admire your and your colleagues principles You have done the right thing, I just hope that the membership realise what has gone on and understand how hard it must have been for you.

 
At 24 July 2010 at 16:15 , Blogger paul4 said...

It's so bloody sad that something that means so much to so many is still sliding down the slope faster than an avalanche. Started a while back but has been gaining pace, with just a few respite moments along the way.

Add your name to the ever growing list before you - KeithT, PaulO, DaveB, SteveR, plus those as yet unnamed but I know they are a loss too ...........

 
At 25 July 2010 at 03:47 , Blogger Dave Wingfield said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 25 July 2010 at 03:50 , Blogger Dave Wingfield said...

You done right mate, no one person or in the BS case a multitude can change their ways. Concentrate on your fishing and other things close to you and sod em all....take care and best wishes

Dave

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home